Friday, January 6, 2012

Thrift Shop Winnings

The other day, on a whim, I entered a thrift store near my home called The Peppermint Pig.  I like going there, because they are also an animal rescue organization. This day there were four or five cats needing homes. The only trouble with this place is that I never find anything to buy. 

It's hit or miss, like any other junk shop. I'm happy to report this visit, however, was a definite hit. These days I scout with two categories in mind... 

...stuff to resell in my vintage shops,such as these books.
Thin and small, they are primers on ballet. From the 1940s and 1950s, they are full of easy to read information on costumes, lighting, make-up, technique.

Simple illustrations in black and white.

  I also search for things I can alter into my own jewelry creations.
 I look for standard vintage jewelry I can take apart and re-purpose (as they say on Etsy) into unique bracelets, earrings, and necklaces.



  
 I have a fascination for clever charms and for beads I can use as is, because I am not a beader.

Two odd bracelets that will eventually be transformed.

These clip on earrings were made in Japan in the 1940s. Something about this style, with the seeds and beads, draws me in, much more so than the standard clip ons by Monet or Trifari.

Even the backs are interesting. I think this design represents the sun, which is a national symbol of Japan and is on their flag.



Can you see the tiny words, 'Japan?'

 These are not marked 'Japan,' but they reminded me of that style. 

 These beauties are made of copper! 


                                                                                    They too have decorative backs.










Three books, two bracelets, and six pairs of earrings for only $25.00!
 Don't you just love thrift stores?

2 comments:

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Thanks for following, Autena. I well remember being on your site and commenting on the challet as a reminder of Banff, here in Canada. I didn't spot your followers list because it was so far down the page, but did use the followers list on the top left side of the blog page. I don't know why it did not appear, but I did another follow today. Love the jewelry you displayed today...so beautiful!

WolvesAtTheDoor said...

Love, love, love the copper earings!! I also love re-purposing and up-cycling! Don't forget to post pics of your finished products!! Hope you are well and thanks for always popping into my blog!